Friday, August 8, 2008

Let the Olympics Begin . . .

Well, it is official. The Beijing Olympics have finally begun on this auspicious day - according to the Chinese anyway (08/08/2008 - very lucky!). The opening ceremony was met with much fanfare tonight as the entire hotel staff is preoccupied watching the festivities. It was beautiful and well choreographed, and China and it's people have every right to be proud of their accomplishments for Beijing 2008. I am going to see if I can check out some of the Olympic festivities while I am in Shanghai.

Me with the Fire Mascot, Huan Huan, for the Beijing Olympics




Back to the Silk Road . . . . Today in Dunhuang, we visited the famed Mogao Caves, which contain caves painted with Buddhas and clay-made or stone-carved Buddhas. It was so awesome! The only problem was they wouldn't allow an photography, understandably so, but still a downer nonetheless. I did manage to sneak a few pictures of the 7 story Buddha when no one was looking. I know shame on me, but I couldn't resist. I even apologized to the Buddha after I was finished, so I could avoid bad karma later. The caves and Buddhas were amazing! Words cannot describe what we saw in those caves and pictures can only tell you so much. It was just breathtaking and so majestic to be in those caves.

Mogao Caves - This pagoda holds a 9-story Buddha, so beautiful!



Cave Paintings of Buddha and the Bodhisattvas



Ruins of a Buddha Statue and the Bodhisattvas




After the Mogao Caves, we took a siesta because it was just too hot to be outside at our next stop, Crescent Moon Spring, a mini-oasis which offered paragliding, sand-surfing, ATVing and camel-riding. I didn't do any of those activities, so disappointing. I couldn't find the paragliding station. It was too hot to walk up the sand dunes and slide down. I am allergic to camels (I think?). I also didn't have time to stop at the ATM to withdraw money, ugh! I was a little disappointed because I expected a little more to see at this sight, but there was only the Crescent Moon Spring and it's mini-oasis. The view was still spectacular, but the sand was scorching hot! I wore my sandals and the sand was burning my skin as we trudged through the sand and desert to reach the oasis. I don't know how people did it in the days of Marco Polo because I wouldn't be able to do it for days, when I barely survived one hour. One little girl kept telling her mother it was too hot to walk on the sand, but in the end she trudged on and did some sand-surfing herself. She was so cute!

Crescent Moon Spring

This was a beautiful shot taken by Lier from the top of a scorching hot sand dune. Her poor little feet!





Camel Caravan at Crescent Moon Spring





We had to rush back to the hotel after Crescent Moon Spring, so my mother could catch the opening ceremony for the Olympics. I managed to catch the sunset from the top of our hotel, and spent some quiet time just admiring the beauty of Dunhuang before we leave tomorrow for Lanzhou. I have another 14 train ride to look forward too. Have a great weekend everyone! Miss you!


Breakfast with a View



Sunset in Dunhuang



2 comments:

Jim and Jenn Buchanan said...

the pictures are gorgeous, and you look well. how are you holding up? better than that, how is your mother holding up? me sure you are picking your favorite iowan out some cool stuff!!! smile, i'm thinking about you!!! how in god's name are you going to get back in the country with everything you and your mother are buying?????

Anonymous said...

Korina,

Your pictures are so amazing. I am enjoying reading about your trip.

Brenda Klawonn
Nebraska